Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Demoted

Reasons I'm upset:
1)I don't feel like Business Manager requires any skill or talent.
2)I feel like I haven't progressed any since my sophomore year, because I have the same job.
3)Business Manager doesn't actually have any journalistic ties; it's completely business related.
4)I felt like the editorial board was doing as well as any editor in chief we've had in the past.
5)I put a lot of thought and time into issue four, only to have it taken away by surprise.
6)I felt like I did well on the second issue, but my job doesn't reflect that.
7)The implemented solution directly disregarded my concerns and suggestions.
8)I don't enjoy doing ads, in fact, I only agreed to do it in August because I didn't want to cause a row over it.
9)It is not a leadership position. I wanted to step up and be a unifier, a leader, but that is not what a Business Manager does. They are independent and autonomous.
10)I've been demoted. We went from being equals to a arbitrary hierarchy.

Possible Reactions:
1.Switch to a different class (maybe Creative Writing).
2.Stick to my original three-trimester plan; grin and bear it.
3.Stay in the class for this trimester and then find something else.
4.Take advantage of the lessened responsibility.
5.Purge any emotional attachment to the publication and realize it's just a class.


I realize Spencer probably has put in more work than the rest. And, if we have to have an editor in chief, he's a good candidate. I also feel like everybody else is relatively content with their positions. Sure, they still resent the idea of going back to the hierarchy, but generally like their jobs ( I think). Alix is still doing what she was doing. Anna said she was happy being a copy editor. Kelly talked about how she doesn't know where she fits in, but she's second in command and will find her place. I, however, am not even remotely happy with Business Manager. I do it because it has to be done. I do it because I have experience doing it. I do it because Judson placed me there. But I hate it. It is a series of paperwork and phone calls and rejections and not being able to get enough money to satisfy the staff's wants for a publication. It's all behind the scenes work that is under-appreciated, monotonous, and has nothing to do with journalism. I don't edit stories, I don't give advice on stories, I don't place stories, I don't write stories, I don't assign stories, I don't suggest stories—I make a phone call, fill out a piece of paper, and save a file in the correct folder. It's a job a sophomore could do—and I did.
On the first day of class, I said I signed up because I wanted to put out a quality publication. Even if I sell one thousand dollars in ads, it has no bearing on the quality of the publication. It has no bearing because I am not an editor. An editor has the power to make a publication good or bad. A Business Manager is just a salesman. So, with all due respect, forgive me if I am not happy with this decision. And I realize some will read this and think I am being ridiculous, that's fine. I don't expect people to understand where I am coming from. And they can say I am overreacting, jealous, or too sensitive, that's fine too. I am being candid; take it however you'd like.


I hope this doesn't result on a one one with Mr. Judson.

No comments: