Thursday, September 6, 2007

The Surface

Life is the same everyday. Some days there is more homework to be done and some days I have to work and some days I don't. It's not interesting, but it's life. I'm so neurotic these days.

I am unsure of my level of friendship with everyone I encounter. I know where I stand with people I've known for half a decade or more, but it's the others I worry about. The people who I always considered friends, but who didn't keep in contact when I left. They are the ones who confuse me. Where are we now? After a year of not speaking, are we still friends? Do I still say 'hi' in the halls? What is our relationship? I'm still friendly with a good number of these people, but it feels like our connection is purely superficial. I used to use the word acquaintance very cautiously, because I considered most people my friends and found it hard to differentiate. I know the difference now. Friends are the ones that leave you weekly messages when you ditch them for a year. Acquaintances are the ones you invite to hang out sometime, while both of you know that won't really happen.

I'm always second guessing. Are you my friend? There are very few things I'm sure about; even fewer people.

Today's Confession: I don't know if I was actually right today. And I'm happier being wrong and made fun of than being told I'm right for sympathy.

No comments: