Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Just keep swimming

The end is near. I'm not talking about the apocalypse; I'm talking about the end of this trimester. It's only two weeks away. I have so much to do before then, but it'll be here soon. I will cease to be the four-AP/two-AP-English-classes kid. Life will go back to the way I remember high school: generally easy classes, diving practices, work, and the JLab. It'll be sad.

I've learned to be content with most of this. Sure, there are still those days where I come home and want to cry, but most days are filled with moments of content. I enjoy Judson's English class. I enjoy Mrs. Greene's English class. I enjoy Newspaper. English has been the bulk of my day for 10 weeks. And now that's about to disappear. I really do wish we had a writers' club at Concord. That might help me with the English withdrawal.

I might a big decision tonight; I decided to dive. It may have been the realization that life would be somewhat peaceful next trimester that scared me into adding things to my plate. I still have to work 15-20 hours a week. And I still have newspaper, AP Spanish, AP US History, Algebra II, and Econ to worry about. And yet, I called my coach and told him I would be at practice next week.

Diving is something I enjoyed. I didn't always love the sport, but I always loved the team. To be honest, I am nervous about getting back on the board after such a long hiatus, but my teammates have been asking all year if I would be coming back. While I don't like the commitment required by the sport, that team feeling is nice. And, my mother has been telling me since the year began that she wants me to be having fun my senior year. I don't buy into the whole "Senior year" gimmick, but I'll dive anyway. If it's too unbearable, time-consuming, or simply too much, I will quit. I have no qualms with that. People label quitters as terrible people, but I'm starting to realize the reasons people quit before are quite legitimate.

So, I won't be getting my easy second trimester. And I won't be free or available for the winter, but at least I won't be bored, out-of-shape, and lazy.

Today's Confession: Diving, as a sport, scares the crap out of me, especially after seeing that kid hit his head at the US Open.

No comments: